[lit-ideas] Re: well, it's heating up....

  • From: "JUDITH EVANS" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 23:16:18 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: Lawrence Helm

We (including New York City despite its weirdness) do not deserve to be
attacked.  We are a nation with a right to self-defense and we are engaged
in exercising that right as we speak.
<<<<<<<<<

I take it that all nations have a right to self-defence.

>  We aren't bound by a U.N. that did the best it could right after World
War II and knew >nothing about asymmetric warfare.

Oh I think the countries of the UN know all about asymmetric warfare.

>We have the right to defend ourselves and if it makes sense to preempt a
nation's nuclear >capability before he gets a chance to use it on us or our
allies; then we ought to do it.

Most people (and most nations?) distinguish between self-defence and
pre-emptive attack.

Judy Evans, Cardiff