[lit-ideas] Re: time for a re-think

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 14:02:26 -0800

You know, I don't think we can generalize from Hamas to the rest of the
Middle East.  I've referred to Andre Nusse's Muslim Palestine, The Ideology
of Hamas on a number of occasions.  She was under the impression that Hamas
could be induced to do just what they've done, join an existing Palestinian
government.  She felt that Hamas would in essence be willing to abandon
strict adherence to Sayyid Qutb's ideology which includes a rejection of any
form of Nationalism.  Under Muhammad there was no Nationalism but only the
people, the Ummah.  For Hamas to abandon that concept and agree to cooperate
in Palestinian nationalism would be cause for criticism from strict
Islamists.

However, one must also bear in mind that deception and temporary compromise
are legitimate Islamist tactics.  If Hamas treats involvement in Palestinian
government as a temporary expedient until that are in a position to seize
total control, then they could still be considered strict Islamists.

But why look at Hamas in Palestine and take that as epitomizing the
man-in-the-street opinion in the Middle East?  I quoted a poll that
indicated something like an 85% approval rating of the U.S. and their
occupation.  And from all I've read I would expect the approval rating in
Iraq to be in excess of 50%.  Approval of the U.S. is high in Kurdish and
Shiite regions and low in the Sunni region; which isn't surprising because
in liberating Iraq we liberated the Kurds and Shiites from Sunni domination.

Still, by and large I agree that there is a predominant anti-American
sentiment in the Middle East, but this isn't new.  I'll quote something on
that subject from Samuel P. Huntington when I get a chance.

Lawrence