[lit-ideas] Re: so long for awhile

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:39:35 +0900

Veronica,
Thanks for that nice stroke. Not going away, just don't have a lot to say on
topics raised here. What I might say has largely been said before and to
refresh it would take some serious philosophical reading. Life meanwhile is
moving in other directions. Glimpses of one can be seen here

http://www.me.com/gallery/#100385

These are random photographs of other participants in the joint meeting of
the Society for East Asian Anthropology
(SAEE) and Taiwan Society of Anthropology and Ethnology (TSAE) held last
week in Taipei. The panel members in the first few pictures are old friends;
the two white guys are Larry Crissman (the beard) and Donald DeGlopper (the
bald), who had come back from doing fieldwork in Taiwan the year before Ruth
and I, then newly married, set out for Taiwan in 1969. Don was our best man.
The others are a mix of old and new friends, encountered at a meeting that
was both academically productive (blessed with a lot of interesting papers)
and lavishly entertained. As is well known, to banquet is Chinese. (Yes,
that is Ruth and me, sitting beside Crissman at one of those banquets, in
one of the last pictures.)

Meanwhile, in less than a month we shall be off to Boston, where daughter
Kate will be starting an MA in public policy at the Kennedy School at
Harvard, son-in-law Pat will be job hunting and doing some training on the
aircraft he will fly in his new reserve squadron, and Ruth and I will be
looking after the grandkids until the chaos settles.

Our lives are blessed and interesting, but quiet moments to read
philosophers will be few and far between.

John

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 1:03 AM, veronica caley <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Sorry, I meant hurry back Mike.  John, I am glad you are still here.
>
> --
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN
Tel. +81-45-314-9324