[lit-ideas] rioting in Oaxaca

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 18:51:37 -0700

Dear All,

Last week I posted a query about female demonstrators in Oaxaca, Mexico.  It
was based on a small item I (and Julie) heard on NPR--an item without
followup. Last night I watched the news on one of the Mexico TV stations
here (there are three of them, on non-cable). Now there are "thousands" of
women demonstrating against the state's government (their claim is the
election was rigged). Last night the demonstrators were tear-gassed, militia
brought out--the whole megillah.

Not a word of it in the NY Times, though. How come? I can't believe that the
US audience wouldn't be interested in what's happening in Mexico. Is this
situation in Mexico being reported in Europe? Does it seem worth coverage?
tia,
Carol