[lit-ideas] re/unrelated fibonacci cases

  • From: palma <palma@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 04:58:38 -0400 (EDT)

Dear M. R Henninge,
I am very little impressed by your intuitions since they are not evidence.
If you were to look at Baker on cicadas or on the (immense) literature
on
Fibonacci you may have the time and the elements to rethink on the idiocies invented by this weirdo so many people worship (said wittgenstein) as for the junk on heAvy lifting I restrain to be shown and similar nonsense, you may want to check that, to my knowledge, there is no mandelbaum involved in anything and that the discoverer of fractal structures is benoit mandelbrot--
perhaps all yids have the same name?

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Richard Henninge wrote:

 (1)
 says who?

 On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Richard Henninge wrote:

> What's this I hear about fractals describing nature? If fractals > describe
>   anything, what it describes is on the Kantian "this side" of nature.
>   Fractals are just fancy grammatical and syntactical constructions.
> Fractals can only be created by computers, hence by us, nothing outside > of
>   us.

 ------Says me on the basis of the counter-intuitiveness of nature's
 creating of objects or "shapes" that have been generated by the following
 of a rule. Granted, people too can create fractals, but it is so tedious
 that their "discovery" would not have occurred without the development of
 computers. Further, even if nature could work by following a rule, the
 object so created would immediately and constantly be subject to outside
 influences which would destroy, or at least compromise the perfection of
 its rule-generated structure (unlike the hermetically propagating
 computer-generated fractals).

 Despite what I say, I can still hope that someone will do the heavy
 lifting that Mandelbaum has apparently avoided, or simply left undone--it
 *is* daunting--and demonstrate why nature does, if it in fact does,
 "choose to go" or "have to go" the fractal route in generating structures.
 As long as he spoke of such structures in relatively small,
 organism-internal structures, such as ferns, one could have imagined he
 was interested in the "why" or "how" question and investigated the
 fractalization of growing plants. But as soon as he waxes fractal over
 such obviously amorphous structures as coastlines and clouds, he showed he
 was content with playing the part of the advocate of the
 pseudo-explanatory power (consisting only of heuristic analogies) of these
 "cool" computer-generated shapes.

 One basic error is to confuse mathematical "generation" (the forming [of a
 geometric figure] by describing a curve or surface) with natural
 generation, such as procreation. There is about as much rhyme or reason to
 a mountain range's crest as there is to a city skyline, and by "rhyme or
 reason" I am referring to the kind of patterned, concerted, purposeful,
 intentional, and eventually rule-based products as those produced
 exclusively by humans with their basically dumb, but rigorously obedient
 flunky processors churning out fractal upon fractal--resembling--the
 natural world, if only in complexity.

 (2)
 what if we find that coast is fractal?

 is that kantian coast?

 On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Richard
 Henninge wrote:

> What's this I hear about fractals describing nature? If fractals > describe
>   anything, what it describes is on the Kantian "this side" of nature.
>   Fractals are just fancy grammatical and syntactical constructions.
> Fractals can only be created by computers, hence by us, nothing outside > of
>   us.

 Kant's checker on that one, as it was for Wittgenstein the engineer, was
 to submit the "findings" of the "Kantian" subjectivity to the unbiased
 jury of mathematics and/or truth-value logic: unbiased in that the
 scientist cannot approach the coast with the fractal figures dancing like
 sugar-plum templates in his head, ready to be sprinkled over the chaotic
 world, until "PAFF!" it organizes itself into the desired fractals. The
 more realistic alternative, acceptable, I would venture, to both of them,
 would be a mathematical measuring as-if structure, holdable by multiple
 minds simultaneously in the mathematical and rigorously truth-value
 logical way that allows for effective discussion and, eventually,
 consensual adjustment.

 (3)
> >   of which we cannot speak, of that we must remain silent.
> > > precisely. and what told anybody that the coast of x is not fractal?
>   Or Wittgenstein also predicted it?

 If it is the case that the coastline of x is fractal, then we would be
 able to speak of it by reproducing its form in a fractal equation, we
 would be able to program a computer to generate just that coastline. The
 equation corresponding to the curve of that coastline would then image the
 world. You can bet that Wittgenstein would have begged Mandelbrod to
 exercise a more judicious restraint in his speculative utterances.

 Richard Henninge
 University of Mainz

palma
University of KwaZulu-Natal Philosophy