[lit-ideas] Re: losing sight of the Categorical Imperative

  • From: Mike Geary <gearyservice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:48:57 -0500

I'd like to think that the argument was over the pronunciation of Kant's
name -- "Cant" or "Cont" or the Russian pronunciational versions thereof.
 That would be something worth arguing over.  In her poem "Eve Thinking",
Lucille Clifton has Eve complaining about Adam's lack of ardor and says:

'it is wild country here
brothers and sisters coupling
claw and wing
groping one another

i wait
while the clay two-foot
rumbles in his chest
searching for language to

call me
but he is slow
tonight as he sleeps
i will whisper into his mouth
our names

Romeo wondered "what is in a name?"  What?  I'll tell you, brother.
 Existence.

And Kant can't do a think about it since he don't exist no more.

Mike Geary
I'm sometimes asked do I pronounce it Geary rhyming with "dairy" or Geary
rhyming with "weary".  "Depends,"  I say.  "Depends?" they say, "then why
don't you spell it that way?"