[lit-ideas] hilloa

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 21:06:28 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 7/17/2013 8:54:13  P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Yes, that's the  fellow.  I hope one day to stumble upon an affordable
original edition of

> ‘The  Adventures of Sir Frizzle Pumpkin,’ London, 1836,  8vo.

It was illustrated by Cruikshank.

---

again for the record

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hilloa

Verb[edit]

hilloa (third-person singular simple present hilloas, present participle
hilloaing, simple past and past participle hilloaed)

1.(obsolete) To holler, shout loudly  [quotations ▲]

1836, James White,
The adventures of Sir Frizzle Pumpkin, Nights at mess, and other tales

"I heard old Jenkins, scarcely
recovered from the effects of his potations,
hilloaing at the top of his voice for Julia."

Now, Cruikshank was a genius:

From an online source:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/38318/38318-h/38318-h.htm

"Again, we owe to Cruikshank our knowledge of "The Adventures of Sir
Frizzle Pumpkin; Nights at Mess; and Other Tales" (1836), a work of which I
will
only say that its anonymous narrative of good luck in cowardice won a smile
from  one of the most lovable of poets on the day she died."

""Adventures (The) of Sir Frizzle Pumpkin; Nights at Mess; and  Other
Tales. With illustrations by George Cruikshank" (William Blackwood  &
Sons, Edinburgh; and T. Cadell, Strand, London, 1836. The author is  Rev.
James White)."

Cheers,

Speranza