[lit-ideas] "he's an Arab" - the rhetoric of political smears

  • From: "William Dolphin" <dolphinw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 15:41:25 -0500

The woman in question, Gayle Quinnell, 75, who works for the McCain campaign
in Minnesota, was interviewed at the rally after the exchange with McCain
and made it clear that while she may not be sure Obama is an Arab terrorist
(she was distributing flyers about it at the rally), she does know that
"he's got Muslim in him" and that the McCain campaign may know it but is
unwilling to say it publicly.
(http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/10/12/105649/99)

But what is she really saying? Certainly we've been treated to any number of
youtube videos of McCain supporters showing up for rallies yelling that
Obama himself is a Muslim and a terrorist, but what are they really saying?
Perhaps most importantly, what is the McCain campaign saying when it uses
the "palling around with terrorists" line, notably plural in the number of
terrorists, or that Obama began his career in the living room of a
terrorist?

I don't think it has anything to do with "Muslims" or "terrorists" or
"Arabs" -- in much the same way that "elitist" has a special meaning as
applied to Obama -- and that the difference fully explains how McCain
responded.

No, I think that, for this campaign, those words are dog whistles, coded
phrases that mean something deeper and more elemental, something
disconnected from the particularities those words normally identify.

In the political discourse as currently deployed, aren't those words to be
understood as saying something about the possible danger presented by
African Americans who are not kept in check, not kept in their place? Isn't
the suggestion less about terrorists per se (no one alleges that the
present-day Ayers is a threat to anyone) than it is that this black man who
would be President represents a fundamental challenge to a particular vision
of American identity?

With Kennedy, the fear stoked was of the Papist influence his Presidency
would usher in; with Obama, it is sympathy for the Muslims and terrorists.
But I don't think that the overt suggestion that Obama is a collaborator
with the enemy in a titanic clash of civilizations is really to the point.
That's not how people like Gayle Quinnell experience it. For them, what's
invoked is a primal "otherness" that always means "danger" on the most
primitive level.

One of our Congressmen from Mississippi was kind enough to remove the
curtain from the similar use of "elitist" after he repeatedly said to a
reporter that the Obamas were "uppity" -- his spokesperson "clarified" his
remark the next day by saying that the Congressman had meant "elitist" when
he said "uppity".

Of course, McCain, having been on the receiving end of just such attacks in
2000 from Tucker Eskew, knows just how it works. That's why he hired Eskew
to run Sarah Palin's part of the campaign.

And that's why he responded with his "decent" remark: McCain knows that
"Arab" in this context doesn't mean anything to do with ethnicity or region
or origin, it's about being labeled indecent.

The real question may be just how dangerous such talk really is, per Rep.
John Lewis, who draws the lineage to George Wallace, or Frank Rich in
today's NYT, who raises the terrible specter of assassination.
(http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/opinion/12rich.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin)

-Wm. Dolphin
Memphis, Tennessee
where dog whistles are about all you hear

Checked by AVG.
12:00 PM