[lit-ideas] give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you.

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 17:18:50 EST

Grice wrote:

"read chimp  literature

-- cited by Chapman, _Grice_, Palgrave. "He wrote that on a  cigarrette
package, perhaps implicating something (or  other)."

---
Sebeok writes about 'chimp literature'

"In my  opinion, the alleged language experiments with apes divide into
three  groups."
"There's one, outright fraud."
"There's two,  self-deception."
"There's three, those conducted by Terrace."

Terrace  found that a chimp he observed uttered:

give orange me give eat orange me  eat orange give me eat orange give me
you.

--- "An ape's longest  utterance".

--- "Part of the problem involves the application of Grice's  theory of
figures of speech and conversational implicature. It may be argued  that the
chimp _meant_ something by that which escapes me. Or  not."

Speranza