[lit-ideas] elliptic curves over the field of rational numbers are related to modular forms

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 08:53:41 +0000

perhaps you don't get it. I f what your friend, this mysterious wiki calls
conjecture if FLT it is not a conjecture.
it is a theorem,

I quote for your convenience a simple statement with the historical appendix of
what has been done.

\beg quote

the modularity theorem (formerly called the Taniyama–Shimura–Weil conjecture
and several related names) states that elliptic curves over the field of
rational numbers are related to modular forms. Andrew Wiles proved the
modularity theorem for semistable elliptic curves, which was enough to imply
Fermat's last theorem, and Christophe Breuil, Brian Conrad, Fred Diamond, and
Richard Taylor extended his techniques to prove the full modularity theorem in
2001.

\end quote

it is perhaps a good idea 12 years after the facts, to get said facts straight
rather than insisting in pouring idiocies on the readers.