[lit-ideas] Re: education again

  • From: "carol kirschenbaum" <cskir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JulieReneB@xxxxxxx>, <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 04:17:14 -0700

Julie,
Your "perplexion"???
Teaching test-taking techniques in school isn't so dumb when the teacher's
job (and the principal's) depends on test scores. Indeed, the very existence
of a school may depend on it. And no, most standardized achievement tests
are not constructed to test knowledge learned in class. Those created by a
particular state (NY State's Regent's exams, for instance) do tend to follow
the official state-approved curriculum. The others--which includes most of
them--are created by the Educational Testing Service, or some such, which
has no idea of your particular state's curriculum.
And that means a lot of questions that even smart, well-prepared kids won't
know. (Maybe half of them or more.) I'd rather have a teacher focus on
test-taking skills than teach *to* the test, however!
Best,
Carol