[lit-ideas] Re: e e cummings was a show-off

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 12:50:10 EST

I just want you guys to know I'm printing all your responses for my  daffter
to read.  Lots of fodder for discussion <g>.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: e e cummings was
a show-off  Date: 3/5/05 9:49:15 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ALL published writing is a form of "showing  off."  I've read some
Shopenhauer, and a really pessimistic book by  Esther VIlar (THE
MANIPULATED MAN), but they aren't convincing: ALL writing  is optimistic,
and ALL writing is calling attention to the writer as a  writer.  Let's
not talk about how difficult it usually is to get one's  writing
PUBLISHED, which would be impossible if one did not somehow,  somewhere,
think that what one said could somehow be useful or well received  or at
least read.  Let's just talk about how even writing a good  SENTENCE is
an act of optimism; one thinks that someone else will "get  something"
from what one writes, even if the content of the sentence is  pessimistic.

Who am _I_ to think that anybody on the list would want  to read anything
_I_ might say?  Who is a mere STUDENT to think that  she might say
something that a _TEACHER_ might like?

All writing  is self-assertive and optimistic.

The teacher was just "showing off"  that she (the teacher) had the power
of authoritative  dismissal.