[lit-ideas] better than gettier

  • From: Adriano Palma <Palma@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 12:13:46 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 14 March 2015 12:50
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Gettieriana

In a message dated 3/13/2015 1:25:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Perhaps we can try something like this:   "First we take a vague or
ambiguous statement. Then we imagine a context in  which it is believed to be
true but it comes out false in the sense in which it  was ostensibly intended
in that imaginary context. Next, we imagine another  context which has nothing
whatsoever to do with what was ostensibly intended but  in which the same
statement can be read as true. For effect, we add one or two  improbable turns
to the story."

Indeed. There are three other considerations one can give some attention
to:

(I) In his essa, Gettier challenges the "justified true belief"  definition of
knowledge that dates back to Plato's "Theaetetus" (He also  quotes from Ayer's
Penguin book on empirical knowledge). BUT the definition  is TYPICALLY
discounted at the end of that very dialogue. So we may  want to revise the
original Greek text to double-check if some justification is  given to this
'discounting'.

(II) A similar argument to Gettier was  found in the papers of Bertrand
Russell. Since Gettier also quotes from  Ayer, a related point is whether Ayer
was aware of this Gettier-type argument in  Russell, and what he thought about
it.

(III) Grice. For Gettier competes with Grice. In "An introduction to  the
philosophy of language", Harrison calls Grice's definition of meaning as second
only to rule-utilitarianism as having been the target of the maximum number of
alleged counterexamples. Third must count Gettier. Grice got so infuriated when
YET another counter-example was offered to his definition, that  he decided
that the best methodology for philosophy DOES NOT proceed by offering
counterexamples (he was having a refutation of Popper in mind). The methodology
 should not be epagogic, but diagogic, which is surely to have an eirenic
effect,  Grice adds. The keyword here would be the role of COUNTER-EXAMPLE in
CONCEPTUAL ANALYSIS (especially when, as in Grice and Gettier, the type of
conceptual analysis is 'ordinary language philosophy, Oxford type of analysis'.

Cheers,

Speranza

To change your Lit-Ideas settings (subscribe/unsub, vacation on/off, digest
on/off), visit www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html