[lit-ideas] Re: "artistic progress"

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:30:51 -0500

Donal: haven't we been here before?
And does not this view - that the problems to be solved in creating a work
are "specific to that work" - lead to a kind of essentialism? (Eg. an
essentialism as to the perfect matching of form and content). And is this a)
tenable b)even if tenable, explanatory?

Eric: Guess I'm in the position of someone who has a political point or statistic refuted, and yet continues to use it as though it were valid. I return to this essentialist point because I see it directly in my own work, and the experience in my work seems more vivid to me than the more abstract counterarguments of others.

Donal: There is a sense in which every work of art may be "unique" (if it is not
identical a copy of another, for example) but this sense is surely too weak
to disallow that there is much that certain works of art may have in common...

Eric: Continuing from above, we could discuss this in two perspectives--the aesthetics perspective and the perspective of someone cobbling together a story or novel. From the first view it seems obvious that there are many handles we could use to study a work; probably too many, and each of these would provide a vocabulary of analysis based on similarity.

From the second perspective there are also similarities that create an artistic vocabulary, but these are too general to disallow uniqueness. For example, literary structure and tone are often important considerations to someone cobbling a fiction. But these arise from the material, as part of the solution to the problem of plot/characters and intended effect.

Let me narrow and personalize it further. I was about 150 pages into something I had been writing, trying to figure out how to organize the material in the last 100 pages to come. Really stuck. Then I realized I had actually solved the problem--without knowing it--back on page 70. My unconscious (or whatever) had solved the problem and it was only up to me to discover the solution I had planted there. This hidden solution then required me to change the structure and organization of the plot. The result was much better than my "intended" outline of the story.

Now as it relates to our discussion, I feel this solution is unique to the work I was trying to create. The problem was unique and the solution, unknowingly hidden much earlier, not something I shall ever have to find again.