[lit-ideas] Re: amid miserable thoughts of Enoch Powell, some good news/Twofer

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 17:20:17 +0000 (GMT)

> On the other hand, none of the headlines in the first poem
> of the "Twofer" was made up.

I actually know what most of them mean! but some are odd

> Aren't headlines an odd form?

I've heard it said the Sun pays its headline writers a fortune.  It was though
the News of the World that greeted an England 5-1 win over Germany with "Don't
Mention the Score".  (The Independent, which is supposed to be above that kind
of thing, did it too.)  The BBC, I sometimes think,is simply (on occasion)
inept.

 British
> ones seem to assume more knowledge and agreement than our
> local counterparts do.

I don't know what yours are like. But you know this place: small island,
relatively massive national media, and so on.

Judy Evans, Cardiff