[lit-ideas] Re: american exceptionalism

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 15:08:49 -0400

On 7/3/2010 12:50 PM, dsavory@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
What metric could be used to determine if Americans are freer than
Brazilians, Aussies or Swedes?

Discussions with same. I know Brazil so I'll speak about that.

In no particular order, Brazil:

* has greater corruption (this is a good index ... US is 18th I think, Brazil much further down)

* is much more polluted. (Breathe Sao Paulo air. Go on, I dare you.)

* has a mind-numbing bureaucracy (Kafkaesque and slow. For one tiny example, widows claiming husband's pensions must first produce a "life certificate" to prove they are alive, and this cannot be done in advance, takes months during which the widows are on their own to produce cash for living expenses.)

* has a draft for all 18 year old males, which exposes the youth to sadistic "exam" procedures including strip and hose down, but is underfunded, so never takes most of these draftees, is content merely to crush their spirits during the days of exam.

* has a university system that runs on patronage. Salaries of professors are below living wage so university spots are reserved for the wealthy who inherit them from parents.

* has out-of-control crime, not just in the favelas where drug mobsters using Barretts and RPGs routinely defeat military sent in, but nationwide. More people died of violent crime in one year there than in the entire Intifada ... but nobody noticed, because there is no way to use the info to bash the US.

* has a general culture of not recognizing personal excellence, thereby incurring unmotivated professionals and partially causing the eternally-collapsing infrastructure.

So just for starters, here's one way to determine that Brazilians are not as free as Americans or Canadians. The metric could combine corruption, pollution, size of bureaucracy, education, and cultural factors that value excellence and offer hope.

Regards,
Eric