[lit-ideas] Re: a suggestion

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 09:52:47 -0700

On 10/10/2016 9:01 AM, Adriano Palma wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29E6GbYdB1c

"Horse Feathers," perhaps, but was perhaps only because of years of reading Phil-Lit/Lit Ideas notes that the discrepancy between "sit" in the definitive Marianne Moore and the "suit" elsewhere caught me up. While Speranza concludes that "sit" in Moore's poem would be "nonsense" as does your Marx Brothers quip, I recalled something else I read about Moore. Her mother, a very powerful influence in her life taught Indians in Carlysle. It seemed to me the reviewer was jumbling Mrs Moore and Marianne Moore so Marianne may have taught Indians as well. In any case I wondered if "sit" might have been an inside joke with Shaw based on someone's joke about how Indians speak. Then when her poem was published an editor "corrected" it to read "suit." Just speculation on my part and perhaps more nonsense on the parts of Speranza and Palma. But this morning I've been reading an interesting review of Louis Begley's biography of Franz Kafka. I read Kafka, everything published in English, back in the 50s and found it so depressing I swore I'd never read him again, but Begley, and I've read elsewhere as well, relates how when Kafka was reading the beginning of THE TRIAL out-loud to his friends, they all laughed, Kafka included. When I read THE TRIAL I didn't laugh. Begley apparently writes that the unimaginative Max Brod, Kafka's literary executor has given generations of us the wrong idea about Kafka. And so I'm replenishing my library with Kafka, and Begley's biography, to see if I can find it in me to laugh.

Lawrence