[lit-ideas] Re: "You Can Call Me Anything But Late For Dinner"

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:57:46 -0700

"Instructor" and "Student" do -- why bother with anything else?

Do you mean that students should address me as 'Instructor,' and that I should address them as 'Student'? In the latter case maybe there would need to be subscripts.

When it comes to email, I prefer to address them by name, to reciprocate their standard greeting: 'Hi, Bob.'

When did 'Hi' come to replace 'Dear' as the salutation of choice? It's now as ubiquitous as '[to] reference,' as in 'She references two of Whitehead's works.' There are trends and there are trends.

Old Oligarch.