[lit-ideas] You CAN see Russia from here!

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:15:14 -0500

This would be hilarious parody.  Except it's not the Onion, it's not SNL,
it's uh, true.

Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - You CAN see Russia from here! « - Blogs
from
CNN.com<http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/30/you-can-see-russia-from-here/>

   <http://www.cnn.com/> HOME <http://www.cnn.com/>
WORLD<http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/>
U.S. <http://www.cnn.com/US/>    POLITICS <http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/>
CRIME <http://www.cnn.com/CRIME/>
ENTERTAINMENT<http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/>
HEALTH <http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/>    TECH <http://www.cnn.com/TECH/>
TRAVEL <http://www.cnn.com/TRAVEL/>    LIVING <http://www.cnn.com/LIVING/>
  <http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/> <http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/>
MAIN<http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/>
BLOG <http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/blog/>
VIDEO <http://www.cnn.com/video/>
      September 30, 2008
You CAN see Russia from
here!<http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/30/you-can-see-russia-from-here/>
55
Comments<http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/30/you-can-see-russia-from-here/#comments>|
Add
comment<http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/30/you-can-see-russia-from-here/#addcomment>
 [image: Diomede, Alaska with Russia's Big Diomede Island on the
horizon.] Diomede,
Alaska with Russia's Big Diomede Island on the horizon.

*Program Note: **Governor Sarah Palin said you can actually see Russia from
an island in Alaska. Our Gary Tuchman went to find this island… Watch his
full report tonight on AC360.*

*Gary Tuchman | BIO<http://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/tuchman.gary.html>
AC360 Correspondent
*
When talking about what she says is her foreign policy experience, Sarah
Palin told ABC news "…you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska,
from an island in Alaska."
That quote made us want to go to that island.

So we did.

The island is called Little Diomede. It looks like a rock plopped into the
Bering Strait. Only about 150 Alaskans live on the whole island. And just
about two miles away; in full view of every single house on the island is
the nation of Russia. Specifically, it is the Russian Island of Big Diomede
which sits about 25 miles from the Russian Siberian mainland (which you can
also see from the American island.) Most everybody on Little Diomede had
relatives who lived on Big Diomede.

But decades ago, the Russian government sent them all to the mainland, and
today, Big Diomede is limited to a Russian military presence. It's also a
full day in front of Little Diomede because it's on the other side of the
International Date Line. Little Diomede is fascinating. It looks like the
moon would if you built a lunar settlement. It's full of rocks, dirt, and
craters. We were curious if Sarah Palin has ever visited this island.
According to the natives, the answer is no.

As a matter of fact, no Alaska governor in the state's nearly 50 year
history has ever visited the remote outpost that still has little running
water. We were curious what the Little Diomeders thought about Palin's claim
of foreign policy experience because of the proximity of Siberia.
Interestingly, many of these Alaskans had no idea who Sarah Palin was! It
turns out they have no TV on the island, and therefore, many don't follow
the news.

The island's mayor has heard of her though. No American mayor resides in a
city closer to Russia than Andrew Milligrock, and he says being two miles
from Russia doesn't give him any foreign policy expertise.

He does say she seems like an okay governor, but exclaims she should
probably pay a visit to Little Diomede sometime. It may not help her foreign
policy experience says the mayor, but would definitely help her domestic
policy experience. We hope you'll watch our story about this most unique
American island tonight on AC360.
<http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/30/you-can-see-russia-from-here/#comments>