[lit-ideas] Re: Yosts Ahoy

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 07:56:37 -0700

on 4/3/05 11:45 PM, Eric Yost at eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Referring to one of my sentences, Mike wrote: "I could have gone all
> year without reading that."
>

> Paraphrasing Groucho, well, it's still early in the year.
>

> How about this instead? My slope-browed ancestors fled their ancestral
> canton, noted in ancient times for its barbarous bear-baiting
> entertainments, to settle in America, where their descendants would
> someday have to deal with George Bush.
>
> Tired of being baited,
> Atilla the Pun

Re. savage ancestors, have you read W. A. Baillie Grohman, "Gaddings With a
Primitive People," published in 1878?

I've not seen much in print about Swiss immigration to the U.S. In spite of
the fact that the community beside which I live--Cedar Mill--was founded by
Swiss immigrants, and one just a little way down the valley is called
Helvetia, my students are surprized to hear that there was any at all.
Maybe it's because, though there is a Greek festival and an Oktoberfest and
a Scottish Highland Games and a green beer day, there's no Swiss equivalent
hereabouts?

What would one call such a festival, the Heidi Heidi High Holidays?

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon