[lit-ideas] Re: Yahoo! News Story - WHY DON'T YOU USE THE LITTLE WENCH? - Yahoo! News

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 21:41:07 +0000 (GMT)

--- John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  The reason I had kept the letter, which welcomed  all the faculty back at
> the start of fall semester, was her hope that with  extensive strategic
> planning:
>
> "We will achieve the vision of a primer learner centered institution."
>
> After a quick full stop trying to determine if we were going to go
> backwards, offering the primary school grades and using primers to teach
> reading and writing, I remained confused.  It wasn't just a missing "e"

Do you mean missing 'i' as in "premier"?

> or even an inability to create perfectly respectable French characters
> using MS Word.

Admittedly she didn't use MS Word, but Agatha Christie could have told you
there are no perfectly respectable French characters [ergo, Poirot is
Belgian; and even he ends up murdering someone before the end curtain].

Anyway..

>How does one "achieve" a vision?

In the same way we might "catch" a "tune", or "grasp" a "feeling", or "touch"
a "nerve".

Or "do" a "thought". ['Great idea - let's do it'; 'Nice thought - let's do
that thought' - is one really any more ridiculous than the other].

That modern business-language is pebble-dashed with what is, on careful
inspection, a form of gobgook is perhaps to be expected, partly just because
of the tendency to puffery endemic in business-language. But I suspect
academics, who produce a lot of gobgook relatively speaking, are partly
responsible. Put another way, once we put academic publications in certain
fields in proper ratio to the amount of business bumpf in certain fields, I
wonder whether the ratio of academicgobgook:businessgobgook would deviate
much from 1:1.

And that's before we get on to some of the manifest advantages of
learner-centred learning over teacher-centred 'teaching'.

Donal
Had a lovely Christmas, thanks for asking

What does it mean to