[lit-ideas] Wittgenstein's "senseless propositions"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:50:06 EST

And on understanding
We are analysing Wittgenstein:

"My propositions are elucidatory in  this way: he who understands me
finally recognizes them as senseless".

McEvoy:

"I suggest his point of view, tenable or not, is more straightforwardly
understood without distinguishing propositions and the act of saying:-  his
point of view is that in examining what gives a proposition  'sense', we find
that the correct criterion of sense does not satisfy its own  strictures and
is, according to its own strictures, lacking 'sense' as a  proposition.
(Yet he maintains it is nevertheless true a criterion)."

I see. Still, it was a good try!

A point can be made that a senseless proposition is no proposition (cfr.
"He propositioned", "he proposed").

----Etc.

Speranza