[lit-ideas] Wittgenstein's Nanny

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:15:07 EDT

>>>That nanny they had, the Kellers,  was pure gold, as Grice would say.
>>how Anne Sullivan came to be  Helen's tutor and
>>companion. In any event, she was never the Kellers'  'nanny,'
>I believe that 'nanny' is equitable to 'tutor' in  Navajo.

----

Most people had nannies. J. S. Mill did not, but to  tease I tend to call
Mill Senior his "nanny". I find 'nanny' is a  functional-term. Anyone who
teaches you your native language is your 'nanny'.
In Italian, 'nonna' (cfr. 'nanny') means grandmother, and nonno,
grandparent.

There was a tv programme the other day called "The Manny".  This is a "male
nanny", but as I use the word, (nanny) it's not  gendered.

-----

In English, it's also the 'nurse' as in 'nursery  rhyme'. Etc.

She must be kind, she must be pretty
very bright and  fairly witty,
take us on walkings, give us treats
----

Julie  Christie was in Argentina (Buenos Aires) to film "The Nanny" -- this
is set in a  Buenos Aires ranch and she commits the worst sin a nanny can
commit: fuck the  tutee. She gets fired (pregnant) and must go back to
England.

Cheers,

JL Speranza
Buenos Aires, Argentina

**************Dell Studio XPS Desktop: Save up to $400 - Limited Time Offer
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222466512x1201463496/aol?redir=htt
p:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D3)