[lit-ideas] Re: Wittengstein's Criterion

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 18:42:45 +0200

I would think that that criterion is the shared knowledge of the context.
If I say "John" on the Lit-Ideas list, there is a pretty good chance that
you know that I mean John McCreery, and not some other John. If we are to
find something inherent in the word "John" that determines that it names
McCreery, then we are being sent 'on a fool's errand', as someone recently
put it.

O.K.