[lit-ideas] Winning the war on terrorism

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 12:54:28 EST

Guantanamo
_http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4770390.stm_
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4770390.stm)
This is absolutely worth a full read.
Julie Krueger
<<They told me: if you continue the hunger strike, you will be  punished.
First, they took my comfort items away from me one by one. You know,  my
blanket,
my towel, my long pants, then my shoes. I was put in isolation for  10 days.
Then, an officer came in and read me an order from General Hood  [commander of
Joint Task Force Guantanamo Bay].
It said if you refuse to eat, we will put you on the chair - these are
special, new metal chairs they have brought to Guantanamo - that you will be
strapped up and down very tightly in the chair and that liquid food would be
forced into me using a thicker tube with a metal edge. The tube would no longer
 be
left in all the time, but would be forced in and pulled out at each feeding,
and that this would happen three times a day. I told him: "This is torture."
He said to me: "Call it whatever you like - this is the way it's going to be:
 we're going to break this hunger strike."  >>