[lit-ideas] Re: Who READS history?

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:00:08 -0230

Must be nice to be retired and have all that free time. I appreciate being
presented with the historical record.

An oft-held discussion in Walter's undergrad phil. classes:

W: .... And if your conclusion is also in your premises, your argument cannot be
sound. It'll be circular. So you see that "begging the question" has a very
distinct, precise logical meaning and that's the sense of the expression I want
you to understand.

Pauline: But that's not the meaning that is used by most people, in the media,
on the street, politicians, in my favourite bar. You say we are free to be open
and critical in class ... community of inquiry and all that. OK, so who are
philosophers anyway to legislate the meanings in our language? And that begs
the question why they believe they can do that. Philosophy can't survive
without accomodating itself to popular culture. Can we go for a drink now?

And that's how I manage to stay young and frisky.

Cheers, Walter