[lit-ideas] Re: Where's the profit in prophesy? Where's the sense in Cincinnati?

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, LIT-IDEAS <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:08:01 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I didn't read the article, but I did read an interview with him.  He said he
had no idea he was speaking for a generation.  He was first surprised when he
was told he was doing this thing called speaking for a generation, then he
resented it, and not too long after that he learned to hate it.  He said all he
did was write songs, and fans would climb on his roof, stalk him and his
family, harass him mercilessly wherever he went, all out of adoration.  If it
weren't so deadly serious, it would be funny.  He said he was scared for his
life and worked at anonymity, having a normal life, but it was hard.  Kind of
ties in to the thread about success.   John Lennon would be alive if he weren't
so successful.

Andy