[lit-ideas] Re: What you're missing

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:45:50 -0800

Andrea Merkx will be lecturing tomorrow about her work in the Feldman Gallery at 1230. Grab a lunch and grab a seat.

Andrea Merkx (b. 1978, Albuquerque NM) is an artist and musician living in Brooklyn, New York. She received her BFA from the University of New Mexico in 2000, and her MFA from Hunter College, City University of New York in 2006. In works that mimic early video - from artist-made to MTV - she points to both the limited construction of self in popular culture and the essential narcissism implicit in the myth of the artist as autonomous producer. Experimenting with video in looping, repetitive formats, Merkx's work draws from a decade of experience playing in rock bands. She has exhibited and performed at venues in New York such as Swiss Institute - Contemporary Art, The Armory Show, Jack Tilton Gallery, Elizabeth Foundation for the Arts, as well as the Bowery Ballroom and Irving Plaza.

Works that mimic early video and show how limited is my construction of my self in popular culture. Hold me back.

Julia's I.B. English exercise has a rubric that distinguishes an excellent paper from a merely good one. The key, says the blurb, is how "well focused the aspect is."

David Ritchie,
Vice President of Self Construction and Aspect Studies
Portland, Oregon