[lit-ideas] Re: What is the cumulative suffering of mankind?

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 02:07:22 -0400

Phil: Talk of 'millions', especially the 'millions' over 'there', is so abstract and demands so little of me except that I make the proper, politically-correct noises. Most of us abhor the genocide occurring in Darfur, and who of us isn't willing to say so? However, compare this with the experience of meeting a Sudanese woman who was raped and whose husband and children were hacked to death in front of her. What does one say in that situation?

Eric: As a phenomenology of politically correct noises easily made, where do our minds go when we entertain thoughts of immense suffering?

A mental blur of grimacing faces, ashen body heaps, mothers holding dead babies in mud huts, rooms where the lonely are battered into fortuitous shapes (Auden), brokenhearted bridge jumpers, the clinically depressed, accident victims with extensive third-degree burns, and so on in grotesque variations that slideshow through our thoughts up to the limit of our capacity to entertain the suffering of others.

And these images of horror are ... what? Our culture teaching us to be kind to others? Our response to our culture's teaching us to be kind to others? Is it a knowledge?

Yet we respond to these abstract imaginings as if the suffering were real in our personal lives. We may presume that our imaginations can encompass them in some outline of awareness. Yet for us, we who are safe not sorry, they are merely cautionary signs; or perhaps in a better phrasing, they are symbols of our capacity for compassion. The reality is beyond us.

That the reality of "all the suffering in the world" is beyond us does not, as Robert suggests for Lewis, immediately send us dodging the problem of pain. It brings us to Phil's question of "What does one say in that [individual] situation?"

Maybe that's where the "perverse comfort" of entertaining mega-pain over micro-pain enters. Do we prefer the lesson (i.e., the symbols of our capacity for compassion") to the field work (i.e., actually trying to comfort one person in pain)?

Is it true that:

"We'd rather have the iceberg than the ship,
although it meant the end of travel."

Yours in imaginary icebergs,
Eric