[lit-ideas] Re: What is a computer program?

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:47:53 -0600

You're looking for a metaphor? A computer program is a theatrical performance. What is a play? It's not the script, not the theater, not the actors nor the sets or the lighting A play resides in the performance. It's an event that causes responses in those who experience it. So, too, is a computer program -- it is written as is a play by an artist whose talent determines the elegance of the program. Or -- a computer program is a musical performance. A song is an experienced event. So is a computer program. The experience and the subsequent response need not be by a human, it could be that of another computer, a machine, etc. How are performance arts treated under the law? I know computer programs are considered intellectual properties, but a "program" is no more what a computer program is than a script is a play or a musical score is music.

I'm sure this is not at all what you're looking for, but so what? I had fun.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter D. Junger" <junger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>