[lit-ideas] Re: What Larry said about lying

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 11:57:30 +0000 (GMT)

Larry Kramer, on the old list, once used a concise phrase - a Jewish or Yiddish
expression afair - that means (roughly) 'better to tell something not itself
exactly or completely true but which nevertheless conveys the truth - rather
than waste everybody's time trying to put the truth exactly or completely'.
Such a phrase would come in handy manys a time and I wonder if anyone knows one?

As an aside my mother has a series of phrases she uses that have spread like a
meme to those introduced to them: one being 'They don't/didn't lick it up off
the grass'. Meaning:- they learnt that behaviour or copied that from someone
else, or were influenced to do it by someone else - where the behaviour is
invariably bad, like stealing or lying, or some form of selfishness.

Donal
Showing signs of coming from a largely agricultural society
That throws the net of blame wider than the individual