[lit-ideas] Re: What Can Israel Achieve ?

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 07:59:52 -0400

I read the article on Wallerstein you offered, Judy. He has a long and distinguished history.

Breezing through the Wikipedia article on Wallerstein gave me no hint as to why he'd lie about what happened between Barak and Arafat when they met in the summer of 2000 with Bill Clinton to negotiate. But negotiate they did. I remember that summer. I remember watching it on the news, reading about it in the New York Times, sharing my confusion with others who watched and waited while the three of them negotiated. That Wallerstein would make such a claim about Israel's refusal to negotiate is beyond me, but he made that claim and it was so obviously wrong, it was more than wrong, it was a lie.

Stan Spiegel
Portland, ME

----- Original Message ----- From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>