[lit-ideas] Re: Weather/Free Beer Offer

  • From: Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Paul)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 06 Jan 2005 14:15:02 PST

Yes, well of course David Ritchie's misunderstanding is understandable (I think
J. L. Austin said that), but I had in mind not the Bridgeport Brewing Company's
Blue Heron Ale (which I'm told nobody who is anybody drinks anymore), but the
Mendocino Brewing Company's Blue Heron Ale, brewed within less than half a day's
drive of Palo Alto. I understand that this beer is wildly popular in Silicon
Valley; indeed their own advertisements speak highly of it.

"Lisa Hemenway, owner and head chef at the renowned Hemenway's Restaurant in
Sonoma County, California, has this to say about Blue Heron:

" 'Each year for the past six years I have gone to Asia and guest-cheffed at
some elite business clubs. I think it would be exciting to take a selection of
micro beers and show Asia how well we're doing in the brewing art. A typical
beer dinner with an Asian influence might start with Mendocino's Blue Heron Pale
Ale, with its light citrus flavors and fruity herb tastes, paired with sauteed
prawns with lemon grass, mint and lime. This could be done in a salad over mixed
field greens, or on warm stir-fry with mung bean sprouts. And if the gourmet in
you is fired, try a simple sweet and sour sauce and spring rolls.' "

I wonder though if while I have David Ritchie on the line, I might ask him what
he thinks of McMenamin's Terminator Stout (on draft)--?

Robert Paul
Department of Hops, Skips, and Jumps
Mutton College