[lit-ideas] War Prayer

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:19:15 -0500

It was indeed a glad & gracious time, & the half dozen rash
spirits that ventured to disapprove of the war & cast a doubt
upon its righteousness straightway got such a stern & angry
warning that for their personal safety's sake they quickly shrank out of sight & offended no more in that way...

... for our sakes who adore Thee, Lord, blast their hopes, blight
their lives, protract their bitter pilgrimage, make heavy their
steps, water their way with their tears, stain the white snow with the blood of their wounded feet! We ask it, in the spirit of
love...

                 Amen.

            - Mark Twain, The War Prayer

Mike Geary