[lit-ideas] War Games

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:09:48 -0800

[See JL's note below] JL,

I read a book about the Gurkhas ages ago, before the Flaklands war, and in
it the Gurkhas were presented in a favorable light.  When the British were
off fighting everyone and conquering the world so that the sun would never
set on it, they encountered many responsive ways of fighting.  They didn't
like the Afghanis at all because they had a habit of cutting of the
testicles of dead enemies and stuffing them in their mouths.  But the
Gurkhas, according to this historian I read, were just like the British.
They were 'good sports" about war.  They were happy to declare time outs for
tea or whatever the Gurkhas drank and they honored longer time outs so the
dead could be removed from the field.  Thus, the British recruiting
Sergeants, who were always on the lookout for good troops inasmuch as the
British didn't have enough native Britishers to do the work of empire,
offered the Gurkhas, after their little battle was over, a deal:  Good
wages, equipment, plenty of leave time to visit the folks at home and all
they had to do was fight for the British wherever the British said.  It
worked out well for both sides.

Wikipedia: "the Gurkhas were designated by British officials as a "Martial
Race <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_Race> ". "Martial Race" was a
designation created by officials of British India
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_India>  to describe "races" (peoples)
that were thought to be naturally warlike and aggressive
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggressive>  in battle
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle> , and to possess qualities like
courage <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courage> , loyalty
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyalty> , self sufficiency
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_sufficiency> , physical strength
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_strength> , resilience
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resilience> , orderliness
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order> , hard working, fighting tenacity
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tenacity&action=edit>  and
military strategy <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_strategy> . The
British recruited heavily from these Martial Races for service in the
colonial army <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_army> .[1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorkha> "

The British originally created the term "Martial Races" to describe the
Scottish Highlanders.  They theorized that certain "races" were more warlike
than others.  I don't know which other peoples are on their list besides the
Scots and the Gurkhas.

My earlier comments had to do with nations.  That is, nations don't go to
war for fun.  There are individuals who think fighting is fun.  I was
stationed with one in Korea who was one/quarter Blackfoot and every time he
got a snoot full he wanted to fight.  Unfortunately he wasn't very good at
it.  I rescued him from countless beatings and he never objected to that.
So while he wanted to get into these fights, he didn't want to get beaten to
a bloody pulp and friends observed that Wild Bill Salois didn't start any
fights when I wasn't around.

But more seriously, nations, and before them tribes have known that they
have a much better chance of winning an encounter with an enemy if their
young men know how to fight well (whether or not they possessed all the
qualities the British desired from a Martial Race).  How do you get your
young men trained and prepared.  Early on it was discovered that games were
good preparation.  All of the early "games" were readily translatable into
military skills and young men who were good at one or more of these "games"
were also likely to be good at the military equivalent.   I have never heard
the counter suggestion that these games were merely for sport.  If you could
throw a javelin better than anyone else and your hoplite phalanx needed
someone to throw a spear at an opposing hoplite leader who was exposing
himself rather foolishly, who is your leader going to choose to throw that
spear?  Why you, of course.

Games and training have become so ingrained and sublimated over the years
that the ordinary sports fan would be astounded at the ancient connection to
war.  Surely not, he would say.  But what does an American Football game,
for example, remind you of so much as two Greek phalanxes contending with
each other.  They have no spears or swords but they have heavy modern armor
and helmets and they thrust against each other in the manner of the ancient
Greek hoplites.

One might observe, truly, that we have no modern use for hoplites, but in
theory if one is proficient and courageous in American football, those
skills would lend themselves to other forms of combat.

As to war gaming, consider first the simulator.  When I was in aerospace and
we sold a bunch of airplanes to someone, we usually sold them a simulator as
well.  A transport plane, or any modern plane for that matter, is very
expensive.  If you represent your nation and have purchased these planes,
you don't want your pilots to learn how to fly them by trial and error.  So
you buy a simulator and let your pilots practice in that.  You can see how
well they do and not let them get into an actual plane until they have
demonstrated that they can do well in this "toy cockpit."

Something even more expensive than an airplane is an army.  You do not want
your generals learning how to fight wars "on the job."  So in America and
presumably elsewhere, future military leaders are sent to "war college" and
learn among other things "war gaming."   Whether they enjoy this training is
unknown to me, but I would imagine that those who become very good at it
would enjoy it.   Some of the best stay on and teach, I understand.

I gather there are at least two levels of war-gaming (but probably many
levels in between the two I mention).  The lower level would be for your
young lieutenants to learn the basics about leading their platoons into
battle.  A higher level would be for generals to war-game major wars.

What did Wittgenstein intend with his word games.  Were they strictly for
fun or were they primarily educational tools?

Lawrence Helm
San Jacinto