[lit-ideas] Re: WHo is afraid of the anti-egalitarians?

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 08:55:48 +0600

T Fjeld wrote:

"Nobody is seriously against equality today. What we usually hear is that
the disadvantaged should be brought up to the level of those of privilege.
This is what we should think of as a process of LEVELLING UP."

Well, let me be Outis.

I, seriously, dislike most talk of equality, and for many of the reasons
Nietzsche offers. Obviously, the act of 'levelling up' the disadvantaged,
whatever that might mean, is not an act of equality, since it identifies
one group over another. I find that the rhetoric of equality is more often
than not in the service of a particular politics which attempts to clothe
itself in a kind of moral righteousness. After all, who in their right mind
would be opposed to equality?

I try my best to not treat people equally. My relationship to my wife is
different to my relationships with other women. Or other men, for that
matter. I treat my 16yr old daughter differently than I treat my 10yr old
daughter. I act differently towards a student who is struggling to pass my
class than a student who is getting an A. And yes, not all my students get
an equal grade. I work hard at that.

In general, I find it a lack of manners and rather distasteful to insist
that all people should be treated equally.

Seriously on the level,

Phil