[lit-ideas] Vivien and all the Haigh-Woods

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 22:11:19 EST

It's ironic to title this as I did, echoing

               Somerset and all the Maughams do it, let's do it, let's fall
in love

-- when 'falling in love' was apparently the one big trauma for Viv (and
perhaps the Haigh-Woods).

D. Ritchie, re: "Tom and Viv"

I haven't seen the movie but I'll look out for it

Good. It's incidentally Miranda Richardson -- recently in "Phantom of the
Opera" and of course, Potter -- rather than Natasha Richardson who is Vanessa
Redgrave's daughter by stage director Tony.

More on Vivien Haigh-Wood's influence on Eliot's "marital" (?)  wasteland:

Tom and Viv | london.broadway.com

Yes, just as it also defines Michael Hastings' 1984  play, Tom and Viv, ...
dedicated to Viv and that it was she who gave Tom the  title for The Waste
Land. ...
london.broadway.com/story/id/3003789

_Amazon.com: Tom and Viv. (Brian Gilbert, Willem Dafoe,  Miranda ..._
(http://www.amazon.com/Gilbert-Willem-Miranda-Richardson-reviews/dp/B00093O8B0)

Amazon.com: Tom and Viv. (Brian Gilbert, Willem  Dafoe, ... apparently
inspired
"The Waste Land," and wound up abandoned in a  Finsbury Park asylum, ...
www.amazon.com/www.amazon.com/<WBR>Gilbert-Willem-Miranda-Richardson-reviews/d
p/B0009

The screenplay is by author of controversial books like "The handsomest man
in England" -- a bio of R. Brooke, using Yeats' description of Brooke.

"Tom and Viv" -- I also owned the bio of Viv -- was sued by the Trustees of
Eliot for libel.

As I recall, the Haigh-Woods were an ancestral family in Wiltshire,  although
most reviews concentrate on Viv being a "bright young thing" socialite  in
1920s London.

What steals the film, too, is Viv's mother "monologue" on how frivolous and
superficial and 'riff raff' (her term) the generation of the "Bloomsburies"
is.  She notably noted a difference between 'the Bloomsbury set' and a
previous,
 perhaps more educated, or respectful of human dignity -- generation.

Cheers,

JL