[lit-ideas] Re: Videos of the Text-book Army

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:49:21 -0700

Andreas,

I was careful to say "objective standard."  That means I rule out emotional
outbursts.   Pick an objective standard and the modern military achievement
is superior to anything that has gone before.  The only standard that can
possibly be adduced from your . . . statements is misbehavior on the part of
individual soldiers.  That isn't something that can be quantified, but it
has occurred in every army in every war.  What is important is the position
of military leadership regarding misbehavior.  In our military it is
punishable.

However, slanted stuff posted on a site by people looking to embarrass
America?  A waste of time.  People are people.  My impression from all I've
heard and read is that there is less misbehavior in the modern Marine Corps
than there was in my day. I can't tell from what you say where the sniper
had a legitimate target or not.  He may have.  If he did and that makes you
sick, so what?  It only means you weren't suitable for the military, but
then we already knew that.

"There are dozens, if not hundreds, of these videos online."  Maybe
thousands, maybe millions.

But when I say "text-book efficiency," I am of course concerned with
military matters: 1) good military strategy, 2) effective execution of
military orders, 3) courageous fighting, 4) quick defeat of enemy, 5)
minimum U.S. casualties . . . that sort of thing.

Lawrence