[lit-ideas] Vanity Fair, Was: A Snowball's Chance in Hell

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 19:22:05 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sep 3, 2004 4:08 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: A Snowball's Chance in Hell (Was: Negative  Polarity)

Paul wrote:
2) when I say "you have something on your face right here" ( pointing to
the actual side that they have it on) but they inevitably wipe the OTHER
side of their face because they are so used to looking in a mirror (vain
bastards) ;-) (that one was for you Andy)

A.A. I thought and thought about this.  Stared into the mirror for two days
trying to figure out what this meant and got nowhere.  Thought to myself, hm,
Andy, you're so vain ... you probably think this post is about you ... so I
flew my Lear jet to Nova Scotia to watch the total eclipse of the sun ... Then
realized I didn't have a Lear jet and there's no eclipse of the sun.  So, gave
it all up and decided to see the movie Vanity Fair instead.

I must say I liked it, and thought I'd share some impressions.  First, I
suspect real life in the English castes in the early 1800's was much worse than
portrayed in the movie.  In real life the streets were no doubt dirtier, the
dead bodies at Waterloo more horrifically dead and so on.  Although one
reviewer called Becky a proto-feminist, I saw only a survivor.  Also, as
limited as her options were, the men's options were also limited.  Disinherited
and without war, the male gentry were nothing.  Overall, I thought the movie
was terrific, well worth the effort.  I'm tempted now to read the book.

Vainly, vanely, and arteriosclerotically (not),
Andy Amago