[lit-ideas] Re: Understanding Why The Compressor Shorted To Ground

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:48:45 -0330

            THE PLAY IS NEVER THE PHILOSOPHICAL THING

Robin (upon reading all about that damn cat): Holy feline infelicities, Batman!
Looks like we'll never catch that cat now. Or for us to find it, we first have
to see it, but before we see it, it may not be there, so why are we looking for
the cat, Batman? .... Am I making any sense, Batman?

Batman: It may be worse than a lack of semantic intelligibility, Robin. Our
entire system of traditional logic is at stake. Not to mention democracy and
washing your car in the driveway on a Sunday morning. That demon, Battling
Bohr, has forced us to posit P, where P reads: "From the point of view of
quantum mechancis, it is neither T nor F that a statement about subatomic
participles ...

Robin: That's "particles," Batman. I hate it when you commit a George W.

Batman: "Particles," yes. It's been a long night of cleaning, Robin. Maybe we
shouldn't have fired Alfred for speaking English so correctly. Anyway, where
was I? Yes, P. "... that a statement about subatomic *particles* itself has no
determinable truth value independent of observation."

Robin: Sounds like a fiendish attempt to throw us off track by playing fast and
loose with the distinction between the ontological and the epistemic, Batman.

Batman: Or perhaps the proferred red herring is the use of an epistemic point
conclude an ontological point.

Robin: Sheer venal, villainous invalidity, Batman. Oh we'll get him for that.
We'll ...

Batman: I haven't completed my analyis Robin.

Robin: Sorry, Batman. It's just that I'm getting a bit cold standing here in my
underwear. I don't know why you won't let me wear ...

Batman: So, if P, we must ask whether it is true that P.

Robin: But wait, Batman! What if Battling Bohr's quantum bomb doesn't allow for
its own statement in a natural language or Aristotelian logic?  It may be
ticking right now somewhere in Gotham city and neither semantics nor speech
acts nor The Square of Opposition will help us!

Batman: That may not be the problem. We have to make sure nobody *hears* it
ticking. For it's the hearing of the ticking that will set it off.

Robin: If indeed there is a bomb. Isn't that what "indeterminate" means,
Batman?

Batman: Still, we can't take that chance. But there's still "Q".

Robin: "Q," Batman? We don't have a Q yet!

Batman: Hold onto your cerebral cortex, Robin. "Q" states: "It is true that P."

Robin: Holy complicities, Batman! Does that mean that Q itself is neither T nor
F until the relevant observation is made? But if so, Q is surely
self-contradictory, Batman. For Q, if it is an expression in natural language
which it certainly seems to be, thus accepts bivalence, avers that P, and hence

claims the truth value of P to be T, and yet P itself avers that the class of
statements it refers to don't have a truth value until the truth value is
actually determined by observation.

Batman: "*Doesn't* have a truth value ... "

Robin: So how do we find the cat, Batman? Assuming it's there. And if it isn't,
how can you look for something which doesn't exist before you find it?

Batman: So that's why I find all those paperbacks on Plato under your bed.

Robin: Sorry, Batman. But I can't learn everything I need to know to be a
dissatisfied human from you. And wait until I tell you about HIS cave!!! By the
way, is there a cat or not?

Batman: Permit me to refer you to the play "Jumpers" by my old cellmate Tom
Stoppard. As you'll see, it all depends on what you mean by "is."

Robin: Holy Bill Clinton, Batman.!

Batman: Good Oxford man, Robin. Sound analytic abilities, even for an American.
Not a Mods and Greats sort o' guy, but loads of fun in the quadrangle at
midnight.

CURTAIN

Cheers, Walter O
MUN