[lit-ideas] Re: UN Convention on the Rights of the Child

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:29:00 -0400

In particular, the laws
> of several U.S. states authorizing execution of persons between the ages
> of 16 and 18 at the time of commission of the crime

Executing children sounds barbaric, even if their crimes are heinous.  It
makes one wonder if it isn't the barbaric society that's breeding the
barbaric children.  It's a variation on Islamic law that says steal a piece
of bread and we cut off your hand.  Why does that seem barbaric to us while
this is sanctioned by the courts as effective?

Andy Amago

has been a major