[lit-ideas] Re: Twofer Sunday

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 08:42:15 -0800

On Nov 9, 2009, at 1:25 AM, cblists@xxxxxxxx wrote:

On 8-Nov-09, at 8:32 PM, David Ritchie wrote:

One

Not mysterious in the least when you get to know her, our goddess moved in last week. ...

Two

If it were up to me and Hugo Ball ...

Marbellous, David. I not only took my hat off in respectful salute; I ate it!

Thanks for causing me to read this:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/eat-my-hat.html

I've bundled up a care package of condiments, in case you've further hats to eat. If not may I recommend John Helmer?

http://www.johnhelmer.com/

Before I become too smug about our fair city--come now, how many cities still support a haberdasher?--I must confess that out-of-town guests this weekend partook of a repast at Robert Paul's favorite, "The Veritable Quandary." They didn't know what "veritable" meant, so they asked a waitress. She didn't know either. They then changed the subject, probably not wanting to wade further into the mire of quandary.

It is an odd word. The O.E.D. says that it may have come from "hypochondry" or "qu'en dirai-je?" or maybe even "wandreth." They all sound a bit of a stretch.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon