[lit-ideas] Re: Two Stories to Cheer You On

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:20:22 -0700

On the anniversary of the day--which hasn't lived in infamy--when the U.S.
declared its entry into World War One, two old stories to carry your day
quickly past this milestone:

A Glasgow guy dies.  He's met by a friend, also from Glasgow, who takes him
on a tour.  After a while the first guy says, "You know, I didna think that
heaven would be so much like Glasgow."
Says the friend, "It's no heaven."

A man is having an awful day on the Ancient course at St. Andrews.  He turns
to his caddie, "I suppose I must be about the worst player you've ever
seen."
Silence.  Contemplative chewing motions.
"I said, 'I'm having a bad round, just about the worst you've ever seen, I
suppose."
Silence.
"I said..."
"There's no need to shout.  I'm thinking about it."

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon