[lit-ideas] Twitter, was Dancing Horse

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:26:45 -0700 (PDT)

There's this new thing called 'twitter' that's all the rage apparently.  It's
supposed to be a new way of communicating, if that's what you want to call it.
I don't completely understand it, but it seems like you can open an account and
'twitter' with your friends and relatives or you can go into the general
twitter.com page and twitter with everybody in the world.  A tweet is a few
words long along the lines of "I just ate a cheese sandwich" or "I just washed
my dog".  It's supposedly a way to stay connected although why somebody in
Sweden would care that I just washed my dog, with no further explanation, or
why I would care that somebody in Singapore just bought a pair of socks is
beyond me.  Twitter, if it really catches on, seems to be pushing people into
messaging without communicating.   There's still thoughtful discussion out
there, blogs and the like, but generally it seems to me that the trend isn't
toward Harvard.  Maybe things will turn around, but pessimist
 that I am, I wouldn't bet on it.

Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Isn't it amazing what the Internet has made accessible to us all? What will
it be like in 10, 20, 50 years? Will we all have Harvard educations just a
click away? It don't seem fair. I coulda been a contender.

Mike Geary
Memphis

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.