[lit-ideas] Turtaios

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 19:27:18 EST

Thanks, L. K. Helm.

Yes, it was a nice 'elegy', I think the genre would be. I don't know. Sorry
to bother you with the Greek here, but I imagine a nice ecumenical service
with  one Etonian on the right reciting straight from Loeb and somebody giving
the  Lattimore rendition! I hope I have transcribed the thing right. Only one
online  site has the Greek text (I believe), and I thought it important to keep
track  (or eye) on the Greek words. The kind of poetry a young or old Etonian
(I'm  using Old Etonian as 'graduate from Eton) may enjoy, I s'ppose. I am
hoping the  thing is included in the Loeb vol. of ELEGIAE, which I have yet to
order.  Perhaps someone can find whether that Loeb volume includes that piece
of
poetry  or not. I have not checked the Loeb site for that yet.

Best,

JLS, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
-----

1

Out'an  mnesaímen out'en lógo ándra titheíen

I would not say anything for a man nor take account of  him
Oúte podón aretés oúte  palaimosúnes
For any speed  of his feet or wrestling skill he might have,

Oud'ei  Kuklópon men ékhoi megethós te bíen te
Not if he had  the size of a Cyclops and strength to go with it,

Nikón de  théon Threíkion Boréenn
Not if he could outrun Boreas, the North Wind of Thrace.

5

Oud'ei Tithonoío phuén khariésteros eíe
Nor if he were more handsome and gracefully formed than Tithonos

Ploutoíe de  Mídeo kai Kinúreo málion
Or  had more riches than Midas had, or Knyras too,

Oud'ei Tantalídeo Pélopos basileúteros eie,

Nor if he wre more of a king than Tantalid Pelops
Glóssan  d'Adréstou meiliokhógerun ékhoi
Or had the power of speech and persuasion Adrastos had

Autós  d'en promákhoisi pesón phílon ólese thumón
Nor if he had all splendors excpet for a fighting  spirit.

10

Ou gar anér agathós gínetai en polémo
For no man ever proves himself a good man in war

Ei me tetlaíe  men horón phónon haimatóenta
Unless he can  endure to face the blood and the slaughter

Kai deíon orégoit'eggúthen histámenos

Go  close against the enemy and fight with his hands.
*   *   *   *
Hed'areté  tod'áethlon en anthrópoisin áriston
Here  is courage, mankind's finest possession, here is

Kálliston te  phéerein gínetai andrí néo
he noblest prize that a young man can endeavor to win.

15

Zunón d'esthlón touto pólei te panti te  démo
And it is a good thing his city  and all the people share with him
Hostis anér diabás en promákhoisi  méne
When a man plants his feet and  stands in the foremost spears

Nolemeos aiskhres de phuges epi pagkhu láthetai
Relentlessly, all  thought of foul fight completely forgotten

Psukhén kai thumon tlémona parthémenos

And has well trained his heart to be steadfast and to endure,

Tharsúne d'epeisin ton plesion andra parestós
And with words encourages  the man who is stationed beside him.

20

Houtos aner agathos gigetai en polemo
Here  is a man who proves himself to be valiant in war.
Aipha  de dusmeneon andron etrepse phalaggas
With a sudden rush he turns to  fight the rugged battalions
Trekheias  spoude d'eskethe kuma makhes
Of the enemy, and sustains the beating waves of assault.

Autos d'en promakhoise peson philon olese thumon
And he who so falls among the champions and loses his sweet life.

Astu te kai laous kai pater eukleisas

So  blessing with honor his city, his father, and all his people.
25
Kai  dia thorekos prosthen elelamenos.
With  wounds in his chest, where the spear that he was facing has transfixed
Polla  dia sternoio kai aspidos omphaloesses
That  massive guard of his shield and gone through his breastplate as  well,
Ton d'olophurontai men homos neoi  ede gerontes
Why, such man is lamented alike  by the young and the elders,

Argaleo de potho pasa kekede polis

And  all his city goes into mourning and grieves for his loss.
Kai  tumbos kai paides en anthropois arismoi.

His  tomb is pointed to with pride, and so are his children,
30
Kai paidon paides kai genos ezopiso
And  his children's children, and afterwards all the race this is his.

Oude  pote kleos esthlon apollutai oud'onom'autou
His  shining glory is never forgotten, his name is remembered

All'hupo ges per'eon gigetai  athanatos.
And he becomes an immortal,  though he lies under ground
Hontin aristeuonta menonta te  marnamenon te
When one who was a brave man has been killed by the furious War  God
Ges peri kai paidon  thouros Ares olese
Standing his ground and fighting  hard for his children and land
Ei de phuge men kera tanelegeos  thanatoio.
But if he escapes the doom of  death, the destroyer of bodies
35
Nikesas d'aikhmes aglaon  eukhos hele

And wins his battle, and  bright renown for the work of his spear,

Pantes min  timosin homos neoi ede palaioi
All men give place to him alike, the youth and the elders,

Polla de terpna pathon  erkhetai eis Aiden.
And much joy comes his way beofre he goes down to  the dead.

Geraskon d'astoisi metaprepei oude tis auton
Aging, he has reputation among his citizens. No one

40

Blaptein out'aidous oute dikes ethelei
Tries to interfere with his honors or all he deserves

Eikous'ek khores hoi te palaioteroi.
All men withdraw before his presence, and yield their seats to him

Pantes d'en  thokoisin homos neo hoi te kat'auton
The youth, and the men  his age, and even those older than he.

Tautes nun tis aner aretes eis akron ikesthai
Thus a man should endeavor to reach this high place of courage

Periastho thumo me methieis polemou
With all his heart, and, so trying, never be backward in war.

                            TURTAIOS, tr. R. Lattimore.

products.