[lit-ideas] Re: Turning the tables...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 20:05:44 -0500

David, I see there's a Calgary on your map as well.
Many Canadian placenames are from the British Isles., naturally.
Sudbury is the nearest larger town....to North Bay
Toronto used to be called York -- it was burned by the Americans in the war of 1812 -- we went down (with the Brits) and burned the White House in retaliation --- they had to paint it white to cover up the scorch marks...

Not entirely relatedly, but still somewhat...
There's a town in Northern Ontario called Swastika.
And Kitchener, Ontario (home of the world's second largest Oktoberfest) used to be called New Berlin. couldn't have that ... renamed Kitchener around the time of the first world war. Mappily connected to Waterloo... where my daughter went for undergrad -- best math school in Canada. Ursula
responding to any non-Iraq-Iran bait...

David Ritchie wrote:

On Feb 5, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Ursula Stange wrote:

You've been to Tobermory?  Do tell...
U in North Bay...watching the snow fall for the second day...

David Ritchie wrote:

You guys have a Tobermory!
The original is one of my favorite places.

The original Tobermory is on the Isle of Mull.