[lit-ideas] Tudor Cornwall (Was: Stuart Hampshire)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:56:48 EDT

'Stuart Hampshire' -- Oxford historian A. L. Rowse, author of _Tudor
Cornwall_, asked about the title of his forthcoming book.

Cheers,

JL

_http://articles.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FQP/is_n4404_v127/ai_2120128
4_
(http://articles.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FQP/is_n4404_v127/ai_21201284)

For anyone who actually likes donnish wit, I  prefer
     the occasion when A L Rowse was complaining at
     dinner that
             "I  don't believe you've read any of my books, John.
             I  mean, do you know Tudor Cornwall?"
     and Sparrow replied, gesturing to his left,
            "No. Do  you know Stuart Hampshire?".

_http://backword.me.uk/2004/June/thosewacky.html_
(http://backword.me.uk/2004/June/thosewacky.html)
Quoting from The Guardian:
       "The death of philosopher Stuart  Hampshire,
       reported this week, reminded Karl  Sabbagh, who
       has kindly reminded me, of an exchange  said to
       have taken place on the high  table at Wadham College,
       Oxford, where he succeeded Maurice  Bowra as warden.
            â??Have you read my Tudor Cornwall?â??
       the immodest historian AL Rowse  inquired of Bowra.
                  â??No,â?? said Bowra,
                  â??but have you met our Stuart Hampshire?â??
      Please donâ??t tell me this isnâ??t  true."  ---
      Comment: "That would be this _Tudor  Cornwall_
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1850223017/qid=1087644685/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_8_2/202-8079174-010
6227) . Wasnâ??t
      Bowra the mentor of Margaret Thatcher and  her kind?
      Please donâ??t tell me he was witty as  well"