[lit-ideas] Re: True alarms

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 22:43:29 -0600

To me, black clouds mean God is angry, and when God gets angry, it's time to
build an ark.  Or at least an arch, a metonymy for church -- the rest can be
left off since God is usually appeased by figures of speech.  If not, a
bishop can be named in charge of the arch. Even God won't argue with an arch
bishop.  Take Grice for instance, or take a poem  I once wrote.  Wordly It
went:

Dark clouds gather over these small towns of the Delta
like some ancient anger beyond expiation,
deracinating winds rip at what's rooted.
There are rifle racks in pickups,
clubs under counters, pistols under pillows,
sirens are wailing,
everyone is ready,
everyone expecting
a storm