[lit-ideas] Trained Watching

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 22:44:19 -0500

If I were a trained philosopher, I'd know what 'know' means.  Or at least I'd
know what philosopher's mean when they say "know" and I could then try to mean
what they mean by 'know'.  If I were a trained philosopher, I'd know what
'mean' means to philosophers.  If I only had been trained.

"The dress of a woman of Lhasa,
In it's place,
Is an invisible element of that place
Made visible."

Many, many moons ago, in response to some long lost philosophical thread, I
quoted these lines from Wallace Stevens to our dear Gricean groupie from
Guilford who spurned them as essentialist claptrap, arrant nonsense and
pish-posh.  Hrrmph, I thought.  I bring them to the surface again, because I
think that once again they bear on the topic at hand.  The "invisible element
of that place made visible" is not some transcendent idea that is "True
Reality", rather it is that set of assumptions about life within a culture that
are so fundamental that they are accepted without question, that shape the
culture but are invisible to questioning.  Only those outside the culture can
see those fundamentals reflected in the dress.

In the same vein, I wonder -- though I don't know what that word means, having
no training in it -- how the dress of our language is an invisible determinate
of who we are.

Mike Geary
Memphis