[lit-ideas] To the barricades.... or seduction?

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Anthro-L <ANTHRO-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 16:58:18 +0900

How do we communicate? We can go to the barricades, draw lines in the sand,
tell people where they are wrong. Far from being persuasive, this approach
tends to harden opposition. Attempts to assert authority and punish
deviation don't get us very far these days. There may, however, be something
to what European sociologists like Pierre Baudrillard and Zygmunt Bauman
have been saying for years. Panoptical authority is dead. Today, seduction
is queen. For a few words about a modern master of the art, check out
http://www.talentzoo.com/website/columns/ColumnContent.aspx?Id=2153

John

--
John McCreery